Sunday, September 20, 2015

The Benefits of Service Learning

As a first year college student I expected the required hours of community service to be something I left in high school. In a way I suppose that is true, instead of  community service we now participate in service learning programs. What is the difference between community service and service learning? Well in my opinion there aren't very many differences. In both circumstances you are working to better the community by helping people in the community or working in the community itself. However, the Key center- a service learning oriented club on campus- says the " community service gives the volunteers a sense of being better than those they are helping" and "service learning as an active engagement for undergraduates in well-organized direct service projects and research in ways that respond to community-identified needs and enhance the well being of people and places while allowing students to reflect and learn about the connections between their courses and their work". As someone that did a lot of community service in high school I don't necessarily agree with the statement, but I do believe your mindset when volunteering is very important. Going in with a negative or positive outlook on these experiences will help better not only your experience, but it'll also improve the experience of the people you are working with. With the many opportunities available on and off campus to get involved I have no worries that all of these experiences will better the community. A few programs that I know of  range from working in a garden to working at schools in the area. There are many different programs we can participate in although I haven't been able to take part in a service learning activity thus far I can't wait to go and really get involved in the community.  This week I am going to the Green Opportunities event, and volunteering in the ROOTS garden on campus. I look forward to both of those events, and can't wait to get more involved with this community that will be my home for the next four years. 

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate your reflections on the Key Center orientation, Kilee. One of the things I try to incorporate into my service-learning classes is a connection between what we're writing and what we're doing in the community. From my perspective, that's the "learning" aspect of service-learning.

    ReplyDelete