Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Reading Response

For class we were asked to read "The Pleasures of Eating" and Food Justice both pieces talked about food mainly focusing on supermarkets and where our food comes from. One thing I didn't realize before reading Food Justice was how in certain areas supermarkets may not be as close in distance as they are were I'm from. After reading that excerpt it helped me understand that supermarkets aren't always close enough and that's probably one of the most important problems to fix before we try and follow the guidelines Berry sets up for us in "The Pleasures of Eating". In a way these two pieces go in order of what should be done and then how to improve from there. In "The Pleasures of Eating" Wendell Berry provides a list of ways we can eat more responsibly. The list includes seven different things we can do ranging from being more active in the food process to eating locally or at least knowing where your food is coming from. I feel like all the different things Berry lists are important because they give reasonable options for the consumer to integrate into their daily life. Being in college with the minimum resources I have available to me it is hard to incorporate these things different suggestions into my daily life. Back home my family and I were able to grow some food/herbs and preparing our own food. I feel like it would be very beneficial for me to eventually adopt some of the suggestions like dealing with my local farmer/gardener directly to know where my food is coming from or knowing the origins of my food that I buy at the local grocery store.  In the excerpt from Food Justice that we were assigned to read Gottlieb and Joshi focus more on grocery stores and how they aren't readily available in certain areas. This is one thing that Berry takes for granted in his paper. Not everyone has access to locally made food at a reasonable price. In my town back home it was harder to get locally made food than it was to just get food from the local grocery store and hope for the best. Although I understand where Berry is coming and I agree that it is important to know where the food you're eating is important I think the first step we need to take is making sure everyone has equal access to food even if it may not necessarily be the kind of relationship Berry wants to form with local farmers. Food is a necessary part of our lives and Gottlieb and Joshi really point out the fact that supermarkets need to be readily available in all parts of the community.

3 comments:

  1. I agree 100 percent. We grow a lot of our own food and make our own food dishes. However, we do have relations with local farmers and gardeners too. It is very nice knowing who grew some of the food and how it was grown. I do like how Ingles in the area try to use locally grown foods like apples and vegetables whenever possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that Berry's argument was really one-sided and didn't take into account other factors that could shape a persons food choice. It felt like he was shoving his ideals down my throat when I don't have the means to live the kind of lifestyle he deems necessary. I will also attempt to adopt some of the points he listed when I don't live in a college dorm and am having to save as much money as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do think that Berry was very one-sided. He doesn't take into account that not everyone has the resources to even learn about fresh food. I know that back home I don't know where to begin looking for farmer's markets but they're everywhere in Asheville. Where you live and what you're taught play large parts in our food choices too, its not just lazy consumerism.

    ReplyDelete