Sunday, August 23, 2015

Let's get serious.....

After being assigned to read "Not just a white girl thing" and " Her chee-to heart" you realize the different opinions people have about their body, their life, and their eating habits. Although they are both different articles I think they were assigned together so we can see how truly different people are. One article gives the reader insight  on this unfortunately common eating disorder and the other shows the life of a junk food junkie."Not just a white girl thing" is about anorexia nervosa: an eating disorder that affects more than just the privileged white girl that society seems to associate this eating disorder with. It instead focuses on the idea that many different cultures and people including men have this eating disorder. On the other hand "Her chee-to heart" instead focuses on a junk-food junkie in her prime. Where she could eat whatever she wanted while ignoring the possible outcomes of the high fat and high calorie food she ate because of her age. The first article I read was "Not just a white girl thing" which made me upset and very body conscious, I empathize with anyone that has suffered from an eating disorder although I've never personally suffered through one. I know many people that have and that article just made me realize what those people suffering really go through. It's just a terrible realization when it finally hits you how much this disorder can change your life. You also realize how strong those people are that overcome this disorder. On the other hand "Her chee-to heart" had a light, humorous tone in it which is much appreciated after reading such a serious article about an eating disorder. The message from  "Not just a white girl thing" made a bigger impact on me than the other article because of the tone and the message given. Although both pieces make you think one makes you realize how the media skews our view on what "perfect" is and how we can achieve that. One point that the author brought up multiple times is how magazines will claim they found the perfect new diet to help you get the "perfect-body" you always wanted, yet on the next page it will tell you how you can be happy with yourself just the way you are. I've seen this multiple times, but having someone else bring it to my attention makes me wonder what else I may have noticed even if it didn't really register in that moment.  After reading "Her chee-to heart" I honestly didn't know how to react to the food and snacks she was eating. Some of the snacks sounded good even if they were very fattening, and others make me wonder if her stomach is made of steel. To each their own I suppose.

8 comments:

  1. I was beginning to wonder the same thing about McCordle. Who can eat all that and live a healthy life? Some of the food made me sick just reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever I read your blog it helped me realize the different views on the topic than I have previously thought of. I definitely agree with what you said about body image and the media because the media plays a big part in what people view about themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, Not Just a White Girl Thing impacted me much more than Her Chee-to Heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with you that while these two articles represent two completely different opinions and mindsets, they still relate to each other, and I believe it was great for them to be assigned to us together. After I read both of them, I thought "Her Chee-to Heart" seemed incredibly unfair, because in "Not Just A White Girl Thing" she had to worry about everything she ate and how she looked, but the person in the first article couldn't care less what she put in her body.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely agree with you about how media is distorting our views of ourselves. It's crazy how they tell us to love ourselves, but also tell us that we need to diet to have a perfect body.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought the same thing about McCorkles story. I didn't completely agree with the food she was eating, but she did make it sound somewhat appetizing. I never thought about how magazines can have two different opinions like that in them, that was very insightful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought the same thing about McCorkles story. I didn't completely agree with the food she was eating, but she did make it sound somewhat appetizing. I never thought about how magazines can have two different opinions like that in them, that was very insightful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder if the barrage of junk food in McCorkle's piece was to make us realize just how pervasive unhealthy food is and why we crave it. She knows it's bad for her, but the pleasure she gets from it is too good to resist.

    I really appreciate your point that the media sends mixed messages, from weight-loss tips to self-love tips, from diet regiments to chocolate ads that encourage you to "indulge yourself."

    ReplyDelete