Tuesday, August 25, 2015

College Food and other food adventures

The food in college hasn't been the high-fat food that I was worried about when coming into the school. On campus they offer many different varieties of food ranging from vegan to Indian. I appreciate these options and I think that will help me in the long run to try and avoid the freshman fifteen. I know there has been a lot of complaints about Browns food on different social media platforms, and if I'm being honest a lot of the food on campus has made me sick as well. It's not like I'm only eating pizza or pasta I've eaten a variety of different foods from different places and nine times out of ten I've left with an upset stomach. Not necessarily saying the food is terrible, but it takes time to adjust to the different ways of cooking compared to how my family cooked at home. I find my experience is similar to Kingsolver who wrote "Taking local on the road" basically telling us her experience with college food and the necessary adjustment she had to make from knowing where all of her food came from to having to eat in a college cafeteria that may not be held to the same standards as her family's farm was. She ends her story with explaining how she found a local place she can eat at that holds the same ideals as the farm she grew up on. The other story by Kingsolver "You can't run away on harvest day" explaining the process of running a farm and what it takes to "harvest" the animals. I was a vegetarian for two years, and the graphic details of how they killed the turkeys and chickens in this story made me want to run back to being a vegetarian. Kingsolver and her family were actually vegetarian at some point which I found interesting considering they now own a farm and harvest their own animals. But she made a good point in saying that being vegetarian is very expensive and not everyone can afford it especially if the land they live on can't sustain vegetables or fruit. After being vegetarian for quite some time I began to realize how expensive it was and it was  especially challenging considering I was the only person in my family who became vegetarian making any shared family meal very difficult. The great thing here on campus is that if I ever decided to become vegetarian again it would be much easier to do on this campus than it was back home. I think Kingsolver really made me curious about finding out where my food comes from, and after reading "Taking local on the road" you realize there is something for everyone you just have to look a little bit harder for it.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with the effect Kingsolver's writing had on you. After reading both of these pieces, I have become more curious about where my food really comes from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I was the only one who got sick after eating at Brown's so that's a relief.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a person very familiar with harvest parties and such, I had a very different perspective on the "harvest day" piece. I agree about the food at brown, though. I've been going for veggies and soup every time to avoid feeling sick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, no! I'm so sorry the food at Brown has been making you sick! I'm hope it's just your body adjusting to the new food, but then again, you have to wonder what it is that your body is adjusting to...

    I do appreciate the variety they have at Brown. It seems as though they really are trying even though they're not quite getting it right... Glad you enjoyed these two pieces :)

    ReplyDelete